Recalling, Sam Mtukudzi


By Hannock Ngaru 


 If there is any artist I would recall from the dead back to life, it would be Sam Mtukudzi, son to Zimbabwe's legendary Superstar, the late Oliver Mtukudzi. I remember, Sam as an artist who propelled me into the media industry as we were just a little at par in terms of age. That day I wanted to do an interview with him, I submitted him in my schedule diary in our newsroom which was located in Belvedere, Harare, Zimbabwe's Primate City. Sam was in Norton: a domitory City that detached from Harare and I had given him a call the day before and so all was set for our meeting. It was an exciting day of my life as I loaded myself with every journalistic armament all ready for my first biggest interview way back in 2006. I liked the hectic atmosphere that came with boarding public transport at Coppercabaurner rank to Norton. Well, ZUPCO was available and I went right ahead to Norton to meet Sam who I was communicating with along the way and I listened attentively to his instructions which led me to Pakare Paye Arts Centre which was home to the "Tuku" music brand. "I am my own man and not an extension of my father, ...." those were his exact words that I will never forget as long as I am in the media fraternity. I had asked him an obvious question which every reporter would ask that is seeing him as a hereditary figure to the Tuku music empire at that time. He bodly distanced himself from his legendary iconic father, Oliver when it came to music. That time he was preparing his first album, titled, Rume Rimwe which he went on to release two years later after our interview. On that I would like to say I was honoured to have Sam to sing for a little bit of what he knew best.That day he appeared simple even in his casual outfit as he answered and explained to me the path that he was going to take in the Music and Arts industry. However, in the midst of our interview I saw a dark tallish silhouette protruding towards our direction, as it grew closer and closer I heard a voice giving an instruction to Sam as I turned to look, it was non other than the legendary, Oliver Mtukudzi whom I stretched out my hand to greet in the middle of our interview. I didn't introduce myself but rather I was more into Sam who said, " daddy, ndine nzara..." (" Daddy, I am hungry..." Oliver only replied, "Idya chingwa..." ("Eat bread,...) as he left us to continue with our interview. What this Superstar and rising star didn't realise was that I stored and captured their few minutes conversation in my heart to be able to write it down this day. However, I have recounted the nitty gritty of my Eulogy to Sam, he was an inspiration to me after that we met here and there in town as he began to establish his own brand to the nation of Zimbabwe and the World but whenever, we met we would greet and talk. Nevertheless, with time I received the shocking news in 2010 in the city of Chinhoyi that Sam had passed on in a tragic accident in Harare together with his friend, I was touched for we were robbed of a lot of shows which we anticipated he would do for us as was his father's customary tradition at the Harare International Conference Centre (HICC). He however, had four albums to his name, Rume Rimwe, Misiirwa, Cheziya and Samatenga. To Sam I say continue to rest in peace.

Comments